What do I need to know?

  • You must be registered to vote in General, Primary and Special Elections.
  • You do not have to be registered to vote in school elections.
  • You can pick a political party affiliation when you register.
  • If you do not pick a political party, you will be registered as unaffiliated.
  • You must register as a Democrat or Republican to vote in a primary. Democrats vote for Democrats and Republicans for Republicans.
  • Changes of address with the Post Office do not update your voter registration.
  • You must vote at the polling place for the address for your home on Election Day.

How do I register to vote or update my record?

By mail

  • Print this form, fill it out, and mail it to the Department.
  • Call the Department at 577.3464 and ask them to mail you an application.
  • Military and overseas citizens can fill out an application at the FVAP WEB Site and then mail, email or fax the application to the Department.

At certain government offices

  • At the Department during normal business hours or when otherwise scheduled.
  • At Division of Motor Vehicle offices when applying for, renewing or updating a Driver's License or State ID Card.
  • At State Service Centers (Department of Health and Social Services) when applying for services.
  • At the Department of Labor: Division of Training and the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation.
  • At WIC Program offices when applying for services or assistance.
  • At Armed Forces Recruitment Offices when applying for services.
  • At some Social Security offices.
  • At the State Election Commissioner's Office.
  • At institutions of higher education when you register for classes.

What are the qualifications?

  • You must be a citizen of the United States.
  • You must be a resident of Delaware. Delaware is your home.
  • You must be 18 years old by the date of the next General Election.
  • You must not be a convicted felon. In some situations, however, a convicted felon may be able to register to vote. Fill out a registration form and the State will notify you if you are eligible to register to vote.
  • You cannot register to vote if you have been adjudged mentally incompetent. "Adjudged mentally incompetent" refers to a specific finding in a judicial guardianship or equivalent proceeding, based on clear and convincing evidence that the individual has a severe cognitive impairment which precludes exercise of basic voting judgment.

Can I register to vote if I don't have a fixed address?

  • Yes. If you don't have a fixed residence or are homeless and otherwise qualified to vote in Delaware, you may register by completing the proper registration form. If registering in-person you must provide two pieces of identification containing your name. Additionally, one of the pieces must include the address that you listed on the application. The address can be a shelter or an agency.

When can I register to vote?

  • Anytime except after the fourth Saturday before a Primary or General Election through the day of the election.
  • At least 10 days before a Special Election.

When can I update my record?

  • Anytime before an election.
  • At your polling place on Election Day.

When can I change my political party affiliation?

  • Before a Primary Election: anytime except from the last Saturday in May through the date of the Primary.
  • Before a Presidential Primary: anytime except from the 59th day before the Presidential Primary through the date of the election.

What are my responsibilities?

  • To register to vote before the deadline.
  • To update your voter registration.
  • To change your political party affiliation before the deadline.

How do I cancel my voter registration?

How do I cancel a close relative's voter registration who has moved out of state or passed away?

  • Complete the Cancellation form the letters pdf in a box for a close relative and return it to the Department.